Thursday, April 24, 2008

Success for Successful Living

I'm breathing fresh, clean, thin mountain air in Flagstaff, AZ. I got back on Sunday night and I've been wrecked since I got back. After my last race in Monterey, CA on Saturday we drove 5 hrs to Ventura. I went to bed at 12:30 am and was up at 4 am to drive to LAX. I caught a 6:50 am flight to Phoenix where Angi picked me up. The race, little sleep and the travel was enough to wreck anyone but now I'm also trying to adjust to 7000ft of altitude. Recovery is ssslllooooooow.

Enough complaining. Here is the good news. WE WON. It was the first NRC (National Racing Calendar) victory for the team this year. Not only did we win but we kicked butt - we had 3 guys in the top 4. The short story is that a break formed with myself, two teammates (Brad White and Brian Jensen) and one Rock Racing rider. Brad White secured the King of the Mountain and Sprint jersey while in the break. It came down to a sprint finish and Brad volunteered to sacrifice himself in the lead-out. Brian was gracious enough to lead me out from 200m to 50m to go and I came through for the win.

Drivin' the break up the climb.

My teammate Brian Jensen and I on the top 2 steps of the podium.

Brad White getting his moment of glory for being crazy strong. He won two jerseys!

I'm framing this jersey.

So next is the Tour of the Gila in southern New Mexico. It starts on Wed. next week. Its a super tough stage race - over 24000 ft of climbing in 5 stages. We are hoping to continue on this wave of momentum and get more good results. I also would love an opportunity to pay back my teammates for their efforts and selflessness.

Stay tuned.

No comments: